Grindr Review 
Profile creation, viewing up to 100 matches - free
Gaymoji for free
- Packages: Grindr Xtra Lite, Grindr Xtra
- Special Features: 3 tribes, push notifications, unlimited blocks and favorites, saving and sending chat phrases, viewing up to 600 matches
Consistently at the top of lists of ‘most popular sites for gay chat and hookups,’ Grindr has become almost synonymous with gay dating apps. Here we look into the various tools and functions it offers to male singles seeking fun.
Pros / Cons
- Free registration and photo approval are conducted almost instantly
- No email verification process
- Easy ways to contact other members for gay chat or encounters
- The sheer popularity of gay dating sites, especially Grindr, are that newcomers are sometimes full of excitement, wanting instant gratification. There’s nothing wrong with that, but other users prefer to take a little time, exploring longer-term possibilities
- Again, with the popular aspect, having so much choice can be overwhelming for newbies. But as issues go, too much is surely better than not enough?
“What’s not to like about Grindr! I love the flexibility, especially when you’re getting interested in someone. Just looking, want to get friendly or Hot. I tend to opt for the latter.” (Chris Tennent)
“With the stickers from Gaymoji, I could make my gay chat so personal. This means you can stand out from the crowd when you’re flirting with a bunch of guys.”(Sebastian Nava)
“What I appreciate about Grindr is you can take on board a lot of useful information. Ok, the app is all about hookups, but it does pay to take a few things more seriously now and again. So, I’d recommend to any newcomers they pop over to the section about Sexual Health, for info on HIV status/checks. And there’s a load of helpful FAQs here, too.” (Karl Haspel)
Is Grindr a gay dating site that can be trusted?
Whether or not this gay dating site can be trusted is easily answerable. Over 20 million photos and 200 million messages are exchanged on this platform daily. That’s a lot of people trusting Grindr over any other gay dating sites!
Is Grindr to be recommended for gay singles?
Yes, 100%. Full functionality is available for users even before they’ve signed up for a subscription. This makes it very attractive to newbies, as well as those singles who have been using this site for some time. With location-based connection lying at the heart of this cool app, you can’t put a foot wrong if you’re looking for casual encounters nearby.
What is the member structure of this gay dating site?
There are over 3 million active Grindr members – 3/4 million in the UK alone. Around a quarter are from the USA. Understandably, the gender breakdown of this site is 100% male. The majority of the members fall into the 25-34 age demographic, although Grindr is also used by significant numbers of 55 and older gays.
Grindr Sign Up
• It’s free to sign up to this service
• Your profile photo will be approved in next to no time, allowing you to get into the action without hanging around waiting for a message to pop into your inbox
• Profile creation is quick
• Facebook login available
Because Grindr is such a popular outlet, even compared to other gay dating sites that are known and trusted, you’ll have no trouble mingling with your fellow site users. The members are always active and attentive. If you want to find out if your messages have been read by someone you are interested in, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid membership.
Matching is done by algorithms that will put you in touch with those gay men who have fallen under your GPS-locating radar. Where other gay dating sites might be set up to find matches according to compatibility or shared hobbies and interest, here you can cut to the chase.
• The profile quality is excellent, but only one photo can be uploaded at a time – so ensure the one you opt for is engaging enough to stand out from the crowd. Unlike some of the exhaustive profile questionnaires, other users of gay dating sites have to endure, here there are some fields you can skip. Although it has to be remarked, the more care you take when highlighting your characteristics, the greater the response will be.
• You can go back in and edit your profile at any time, and also link to it from your social media accounts. But the most important profile attribute of all for Grindr members is the ability to track the distance any potential partners are from your current location.
• As well as basic info about your appearance, you can specify your tribe. (Are you a bear or are you clean-cut or whatever? There are many choices for you to narrow down.) You can also specify what you are looking for – and when asked about position, this has nothing to do with seeking someone with a trendy occupation. This refers to favorite sexual position.
The app version of this gay dating site is free to download from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
Free services include profile creation, viewing up to 100 matches, messaging, selecting a tribe, basic filters, browsing through profiles, and getting involved in group gay chat. Subscribing introduces a whole raft of special features, including selecting three tribes, push notifications, unlimited blocks and favorites, saving and sending chat phrases, viewing up to 600 matches, and much more.
Why should you use Grindr?
The sheer scale of this gay dating site is awesome. The number of potential dates who are online at any time, coupled with the matching functionality, means you will have every chance of finding someone ideal very quickly.
Alternatives to Grindr
There are many alternatives out there – Gaystryst, Scruff, Adam4Adam – but you’ll be drawn back to Grindr for its potency. Check our list of best gay hookup sites.
Costs & Prices
Grindr Xtra Lite
• One month: £8.49
• Three months: £7.33 p/m
• One year: £44.99
There’s a reason Grindr is one of the most accessible and accessed gay dating sites in the world. It is synonymous with casual get-togethers – quick swipes, instant gay chat, location-matching – but when coupled with its community-vibe and security, this should be the gay site you should always consider bookmarking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can you find on Grindr?
You can find any guy who shares your interests in passion, fun, and relationships.
Is Grindr a legit site for gay hookups?
Yes. The millions upon millions of worldwide members would attest to this!
What is Gaymoji?
Gaymoji is a suite of LGBTQ-themed emojis – downloadable for free – that can be incorporated into your gay chat.