Best Gay Hookup Sites in 2022
Connecting with compatible gay men has never been easier or more convenient. But if you are new to this activity, with so much choice at your fingertips, how do you decide which one to sign up to? Although you’re under no obligation to stick with your first choice, unnecessary time wasting can be avoided if you check out some reviews before joining.
A gay hookup app with a predominantly young clientele, mainly in the USA, UK, and Australia, Gaystryst is a mobile-friendly site for gay men seeking love or sex. While many same-sex outlets will also cater to the LGBTQ community.
Gaystryst is exclusively for gay males. For the most part, the functionality focuses on sexually-explicit encounters, although some members, particularly the minority of over-45s are seeking longer-term relationships.
- Quick sign-up, with compulsory email verification compulsory. No Facebook options.
- Members are geotagged according to their location, allowing proximity matching
- Winks are free, and standard members can access search filters, as well as adding members to their Favorites list
- Only premium site users can exchange messages
Another dating app aimed at gays seeking partners on a short or long-term basis, Buddygays is another site exclusively for gay men attracting younger to middle-aged users, compatibility is improved with the option to join a ‘tribe.’
Choose from bear, clean-cut, geek, twinks, Jock, daddy or lovers of BDSM.
- ‘Hot or Not’ games to whittle down choice
- Chat functions and private messaging
- Free searches
- Like gallery
- Flirtcast (multiple messages at the same time)
While a lot of gay hookup sites mostly appeal to under-30s, Gaysgodating enjoys a more widespread membership demographic. A sister site to Buddygays, the same list of tribe categories is available.
- Free searches
- Free profile viewing
- Free main photo viewing
- Messaging is a premium feature
- Exchange texts, photos, and videos
- Like other profiles
- Status Message – a brief introduction for other site users
A hugely popular gay dating app in the USA, frequently ranked number one in ratings, Adam4Adam was launched in 2003. Fees are not required for the full range of its services. Revenue comes from accessing pay-per-view porn websites.
Main features include:
- Free membership
- 27 free search filters, based on age, ethnicity, body type, height, and more
- Live cam action
- Online shop for sex accessories
- Easy to find out site members in your proximity
- Seamless and easily-navigable interface
Since its inception in Germany in 2002, PlanetRomeo has evolved into a global geosocial network for LGBTQ singles, commanding a membership of over 3.5 million. The bulk of its users remain German-speaking (25%) but it is also accessed in the USA and UK.
Main features include:
- Basic contacting functionality is free, including sending three QuickShare requests per-day
- Other members can be added to Friends List or Favourites
- ‘Footprints’ allow you to send compliments, based on two categories – ‘hot stuff’ (sexy, great body, and so on) or ‘compliments’ (intelligent, my dream guy, etc.)
- Excellent search features based on four tabs – Activity, New, Discover, Distance.
Since its launch in Los Angeles in 2009, Grindr has become the world’s most widely-accessed gay hookup site. Free to download on iOS and Android, there are free and premium versions.
This slickly-designed utilizes GPS technology. Members browse other profiles sorted by distance, based on filter settings.
Profile photos can be viewed during searches, alongside descriptions. Popular across various age groups, the highest number of users are in the 25-34 bracket.
Main features include:
- Free users can access full functionality, including profile creation, messaging, basic search filters, viewing profiles, creating chat groups, viewing up to 100 matches
- Subscribers enjoy ad-free surfing, viewing up to 60 matches, online-only views,
- Matches are location-based
- Premium members can use a live chat facility
- Facebook login
- Uploading a photo compulsory – must be verified by site administration
Although Mennation was created in 2009 as a desktop application, this well-designed gay hookup app is now widely available for tablets and mobiles, too.
Because it has been proving a gay relationship service for a decade now, it has developed a strong reputation for reliability and ease of communication.
The most appealing is the ease with which members can touch base with a potential worldwide catchment of thousands.
Unlike sites geared towards instant connection by proximity, Mennation focuses on profiles – the more detailed a profile, the greater the attention. Active members often compete in creativity, taking portraits against interesting backdrops.
- Main functionality:
- Free and quick sign-up process
- One-on-one communication is free
- High-quality profiles and presentation of photographs
- VIP-access is relatively cost-effective, at $50 for a full year
- Gaydar Radio – members can upload music, talk shows, podcasts, and other media
- Share traveling schedules
Launched in 2010, scruff is one of the most conscientious of the gay hookup sites. It included a sub-category for HIV-positive members, named Poz in 2013, and was also the first gay hookup app to introduce options for members of the armed services and transgender community.
Innovations are never far, and in 2015 further options were added, including sex preferences, types of relationship, and safety practices.
A core ethos of Scruff is to counter and form of racism, sexual harassment, or abuse. Sexually-explicit profile photographs are not permitted.
- Scruff enjoys a global membership currently above 15 million
- Matching facility allows users to fine-tune their searches with successive swipes
- Match reveals a pick of new male singles every day
- Gay holidays can be managed, with travel tips, publishing agenda – members can volunteer to be Ambassadors, helping out guys visiting your home location
Most Popular Gay Dating Apps
Many generic dating outlets still offer gay dating as an option, if less focused compared to the aforementioned hookup sites for gays.
This is a niche area of dating that is increasing in popularity, with over a quarter of a million members registered in the UK alone. This is aimed at singles in the military, law enforcement, or other areas of community service, appealing to over-30s.
- Sensitive nature of the site (military or police users) so photo verification strict
- Some accounts are set to autoreply – in the absence of profile information, this can lead to more fake accounts than comparable sites
- Free search filters
Cupid is one of the oldest dating sites, active since 2002, mainly in English-language countries. One of its trademark features is the use of ‘Wingman Barney,’ a virtual date coach who will assist your quest to find partners sharing your orientation.
- Specific functionality
- Free to browse profiles
- Multiple interaction – chat rooms, winks, ‘Cupid’s Arrow’
There are many gay hookup sites, but which is best?
Deciding which gay hookups site to sign up to is certainly not easy, given the choice. In many instances, it’s down to personal taste. If you are seeking casual hookups, Grindr remains the benchmark. But if you’d prefer something more meaningful, there would be no harm shopping around.
With so many hookup sites, what type of gay people can I meet?
Most sites have more younger members, but there are always significant numbers of older users. The popularity of online gay dating means you’ll encounter a diverse range of individuals.